Sunday 15 May 2011

Tribal Intoxication

Of all the projects we have undertaken so far, this was definitely the one I most enjoyed. For the main part of the project we had to select a fashion brand to for which we would design and again select a theme (multi-functional, flat-packed, compulsive craft or old wisdom) and use this to lead us into our research process. I chose to design for 'Twenty8Twelve' and base my work on 'old wisdom' and since we were allowed to interpret our theme in any which way we choose, I decided to look into the Native Americans and their tribal practices. 
 
I found myself reading through pages and pages of fascinating writings on the Native American peyote pilgrimages during which they would go for days of starvation on a special and meaningful journey to collect their blessed peyote; and their ceremonies in which the Shaman leader of the tribe would contact the spiritual world and become closer to God through beautiful intoxication of their sacred peyote plant.

'Etheric Veil' (Peyote trips are best described through visual representation
'Acid Trip' (similar to Peyote trip) a beautiful visual representation
The Native American ceremonies had me truly mesmerised, it all proved to be so very interesting and therefore I focused particularly on these practices and devised my trend, 'Tribal Intoxication' with which I would go on to create a trend board (to inspire the design process), a product board (my collection of 6 accessories) and my final piece (a prototype of one of the pieces from my collection).

An example of some sketchbook work
Sketchbook work, creating a print using the peyote button shapes
More sketchbook work, an account of from the first westerner to ingest peyote
Images of the peyote plant itself, the object central to my work
My A3 trend board
My A3 product presentation board with my final collection of 6 accessories

 And so from this collection of six, here are some pictures below of the product I chose to make (the peyote bag pictured on the end right of the presentation board above). The bag has 2 detachable straps, (a ring strap and long feather strap) crystal bird details and a metal clasp fastening.













No comments:

Post a Comment